Guest speaker Keith Jewell addressed the NSWCA on the important topic of Robert’s Rules of Order*, the proverbial bible of parliamentary procedure and the most frequently used procedural manual of its kind in the USA.
Mr. Jewell, attorney and counselor at law and proprietor of Keith C. Jewell, P.C., (Carle Place, NY) gave a penetrating presentation on elements of procedure to guide the association during meetings. Selected highlights of Mr. Jewell’s presentation included:
- Majority quorum required (no quorum = no voting)
- Written agenda in advance
- Advance review of attendee list
- Meeting management by the clock
- Use of the “Parking Lot” to manage off topic discussions
- Prewire important points and decisions
- Individualized notetaking
- Meeting follow up
- Executive sessions
The comments were well received by the attending commissioners. The host for the meeting was the Garden City Park Water District. Commissioner Peter Chimenti provided an overview and update of issues affecting the District.
*Robert’s Rules of Order, currently in its 11thedition, was originally published by U.S. Army Brigadier General Henry Martyn Robert (1837-1923).